Saturday October 22nd – Soils Workshop
8:00 AM to 1:30 PM at Tolland County Agricultural Center in Vernon, CT. 24 Hyde Avenue.
The Envirothon Soils Workshop will be held on Saturday October 22nd from 8:00 AM to 1:30 PM at the Tolland County Agricultural Center (TAC), 24 Hyde Avenue (Route 30), in Vernon. TAC is located just off I-84 in Vernon. Directions follow:
- From I-84 westbound, take exit 67. Go right off the exit. At the first traffic light, go right onto Route 30 (Hyde Avenue). Tolland County Agricultural Center is on the right, just past United Bank.
- From I-84 eastbound, take exit 67. Go left off the exit. At the second traffic light, go right onto Route 30 (Hyde Avenue). Tolland County Agricultural Center is on the right, just past United Bank.
The workshop will begin with presentations.
- Intro to CT Soil Landscapes and Parent Material by Lisa Krall – NRCS
- Intro to soil properties by Dawn Pettinelli – UCONN
- Current issue presentation: Water quality in agricultural systems and the importance of soils, and a discussion about the role of government and non-profits in assisting with conservation, by Sean Hayden – Northwest Conservation District
Everyone attending will then break into groups and rotate through 4 hands on sessions
- Soil Pit – Description and Interpretation
- Conservation planning activities (slope, soil sampling, nutrient management, compaction)
- Map reading, soil surveys, aerial photography
- Soil texture, color, gravel, invasive worms, etc.
As always, part of the day will be outside, so have the students dress appropriately for the weather for walking “off-road”.
Register for the 2016-2017 Envirothon.