Content Leader: Sean Hayden (Northwest Conservation District) email@example.com
The 2017 Current Issue is: Agricultural Soil and Water Conservation Stewardship
- Introduction to Permaculture– Cynthia Rabinowitz, Soil Scientist HGCONSOIL, LLC (Presentation given at the 2017 Aquatics workshop)
- CT Envirothon Current Issue Topic- Agricultural Soil and Water Conservation Stewardship (PDF) (Presentation given at the 2016 Soils Workshop)
Current Issue Learning Objectives (From NCF Envirothon)
1. Soil and Water Conservation best management practices; their purpose and implementation.
2. How are soil and water conservation best management practices interrelated to the management of wildlife, forestry and aquatic systems?
3. How do agriculturists maintain a balance between their quality of life versus the quality of the environment?
Upon completion of the training, the student will be able to:
1, Identify and recommend soil and water conservation best management practices in agriculture.
2. Describe the role of the federal government in conservation programs that benefit both agricultural producers and the environment.
3. Identify the concept of soil quality/health to provide the needed functions for the conservation planning process.
4. Identify various types of soil erosion and utilize different methods to estimate and predict soil erosion to assess land use impacts.
a. RUSLE 2 Equation
b. Aerial Photographs
c. Topographic Maps
d. Soil Maps
e. USDA Classification System
f. Soil Surveys
5. Explain why land-use planning is important to our ecosystems and to our economy to achieve sustainable agriculture.
Visit NCF Envirothon for more information and resource links.